Hagar’s House is a sanctuary for women and children in New Orleans that provides an open and empowering residential community, resource coordination and a safe space to transition into sustainable housing.
We are a program of First Grace United Methodist Church and of the non-profit First Grace Community Alliance. Our community and services are open to those in need without regard to race, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, national origin, age or gender identity.
Hagar’s House offers:
- A beautiful, clean, safe place to rest and call home
- An open and empowering space that welcomes women, children and those who identify as transgender
- An intentional community that is actively engaged in undoing the root causes of poverty
- Holistic programming focused on physical health, emotional/spiritual health and social justice
- A Capacity Building partnership where residents meet weekly with staff to set their own long and short-term goals and to determine their own path for meeting those goals
- A savings program in which working residents save 70% of their income, ideally $3,000 at the time of moving out
- Healthy food and space to plant in a community garden